Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Unexploded Bombs From the Second World War Exposed by Dunwich Wildfires

Specialist teams have made some devices safe, but the National Trust says more unexploded ordnance may remain and the reserve stays closed.

  • On Monday, authorities stood down the major incident at Dunwich Heath, yet the National Trust warns the fire exposed unexploded ordnance from the Second World War's Operation Kruschen.
  • The area hosted Operation Kruschen, a 1943 British military exercise designed to prepare troops for D-Day by testing methods to breach German Atlantic Wall defenses.
  • Fire destroyed vegetation barriers that hid explosives for decades, creating significant risks; specialist teams have already remote-detonated a phosphorus mortar and mortar fuse found last week.
  • Matt Wilson, coast and countryside manager for the National Trust's Suffolk and Essex Coast portfolio, said the site remains closed to prevent injury after staff encountered disoriented visitors.
  • The National Trust has raised more than £600,000 for recovery efforts, and experts plan drone surveys to identify remaining hazards before the reserve can safely reopen.
Insights by Ground AI

13 Articles

Center

Five world war bombs are discovered in Neu-Ulm - and defused. Rail line and federal road were closed.The five unexploded people found in Neu-Ulm from the Second World War are defused.All the blockades have been lifted again, the city reported.The railway line between the major cities of Augsburg and Ulm was temporarily closed on Tuesday evening, the rail traffic was stopped at short notice.The Bundesstraße 10 was closed in both directions in the…

·Hamburg, Germany
Read Full Article
Center

Five world war bombs were discovered in Bavaria. On Tuesday evening, the detonation squad arrives – the railway and the federal highway are closed.

·Munich, Germany
Read Full Article
Die PresseDie Presse
Reposted by
onetz.deonetz.de
Lean Right

‘An unexploded man from the Second World War caused a break of several hours on the busy railway line in the south of Germany.

·Vienna, Austria
Read Full Article
Lean Left

Here you will find information on the topic "80 years old unexploited people". Read now "Train line Augsburg-Ulm closed due to bombing".

·Germany
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 72% of the sources are Center
72% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Zeit Online broke the news in Germany on Tuesday, August 11, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal