WHO Declares End to MV Hondius Hantavirus Outbreak
United States

Omar Havana/Getty Images/Getty
What Happened
What Happened
Where Sources Agree
- arrows_inputOutbreak Declared Over: Coverage largely emphasizes that the cruise ship hantavirus outbreak is officially over, with 13 total cases and three confirmed deaths, and no new infections reported since May 25, according to the World Health Organization.
- arrows_inputAndes Strain Transmission Characteristics: Outlets concur that the Andes hantavirus strain—which carries a 40% case fatality rate and lacks specific vaccines or treatments—is uniquely capable of human-to-human transmission, according to health officials and scientific experts.
Where Sources Disagree
- arrows_outputReported Case Totals: Some reports identify 13 total hantavirus cases linked to the cruise ship, including both confirmed and probable instances. In contrast, other reports cite a total of nine confirmed or suspected cases.
- arrows_outputOutbreak Origin Attribution: Some outlets report that officials suspect the outbreak originated from a bird-watching outing to a landfill. In contrast, other sources focus on general rodent transmission, omitting specific details about an initial outing.
- arrows_outputQuarantine Characterization: Some passengers describe their mandatory quarantine as prison-like or a hostage situation, while official sources characterize the same measures as standard public health monitoring to contain the virus.
Timeline
July 2, 2026
WHO declares outbreak over: On July 2, 2026 the WHO said no new cruise-linked hantavirus cases had been reported since May 25 and declared the outbreak over after 12 confirmed and one probable case (including three deaths); authorities traced and followed up more than 650 contacts. The declaration followed the last exposed person completing a six-week quarantine and testing negative.
May 4, 2026
WHO confirms Andes strain, evacuations: On May 4, 2026 the World Health Organization confirmed a hantavirus was spreading aboard the MV Hondius and health officials identified the Andes strain, triggering evacuations, disembarkations (passengers began leaving by May 11) and extensive contact tracing and quarantines. Multiple countries isolated or monitored returned passengers and crew.
May 2, 2026
Additional deaths reported: The first victim's 69-year-old wife died shortly after departing the ship (reported April 26, 2026 in Johannesburg), and a German woman later died aboard the vessel, with a reported death on May 2, 2026, marking multiple fatalities linked to the voyage. These successive deaths heightened international concern and investigations.
Summaries by Ground AI
Sources
See All 148Most Written About
The stories getting the most coverage from the last 24 hours
Timeline
July 2, 2026
WHO declares outbreak over: On July 2, 2026 the WHO said no new cruise-linked hantavirus cases had been reported since May 25 and declared the outbreak over after 12 confirmed and one probable case (including three deaths); authorities traced and followed up more than 650 contacts. The declaration followed the last exposed person completing a six-week quarantine and testing negative.
May 4, 2026
WHO confirms Andes strain, evacuations: On May 4, 2026 the World Health Organization confirmed a hantavirus was spreading aboard the MV Hondius and health officials identified the Andes strain, triggering evacuations, disembarkations (passengers began leaving by May 11) and extensive contact tracing and quarantines. Multiple countries isolated or monitored returned passengers and crew.
May 2, 2026
Additional deaths reported: The first victim's 69-year-old wife died shortly after departing the ship (reported April 26, 2026 in Johannesburg), and a German woman later died aboard the vessel, with a reported death on May 2, 2026, marking multiple fatalities linked to the voyage. These successive deaths heightened international concern and investigations.













