US Releases Another $77 Million in Frozen New York Tunnel Funding
- On Feb. 17, 2026, the Trump administration released $77 million to the Gateway Development Commission for the $16 billion Hudson Tunnel Project, following an earlier $30 million disbursement and bringing total releases to $107 million.
- The freeze followed USDOT's decision to withhold $205 million starting October 1, 2026, citing a DEI review and prompting New York and New Jersey to sue.
- GDC halted work on Feb. 6 when its temporary financing ran out, pausing five Gateway projects and putting 1,000 construction workers out of work, wasting project momentum.
- GDC said it will not restart construction until it receives the full tranche of reimbursements and is working with contractors to plan deployment and resume some construction.
- The Hudson Tunnel's age and Sandy damage mean it serves over 200,000 travelers and 425 trains daily, with nearly $2 billion spent, Hochul said, `It is urgent that we build this tunnel and do it now and stop these political delays`.
13 Articles
13 Articles
All or nothing: Hochul says Gateway Tunnel project won’t resume until Trump releases remaining $205M in frozen funds
Gov. Kathy Hochul announced on Tuesday that the Trump administration has released just over half of the $205 million in Gateway Tunnel funding it froze in October — but the rail project's work stoppage will only end when the full amount is provided. Hochul — gathered with construction workers at the Manhattan Gateway construction site on Feb. 17 — revealed that the Trump administration released another $77 million it had frozen last fall to the …
Federal Funding Drama Escalates Around Hudson Tunnel Project
Federal Funding Drama Escalates Around Hudson Tunnel Project The Trump administration has freed up $77 million in previously withheld federal funding for the Hudson Tunnel Project. This development follows a lawsuit filed by New York and New Jersey after the U.S. Department of Transportation had frozen $205 million, stalling construction and leaving 1,000 workers without jobs.An additional $30 million was released last Friday, increasing the tot…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 60% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium










