Teenagers accused of attempted rape in incident which led to Ballymena riots to have charges withdrawn
The Public Prosecution Service withdrew charges due to new evidence, ending a case that sparked racially motivated riots and led to over five months of juvenile detention.
- On Friday , all charges against two Romanian teenagers, aged 14 and 15, were formally withdrawn at Laganside Youth Court, the Public Prosecution Service confirmed.
- The PPS said it had been made aware of "significant evidential developments" recently and concluded the Test for Prosecution was no longer met, leading to a formal application to halt proceedings.
- On June 7, the boys, aged 14 and 15, were charged over an alleged assault in Clonavon Terrace, Ballymena, where the girl escaped when three teenagers were disturbed, and a third youth is believed to have fled to Romania.
- Prosecution and police met the complainant and her family to explain the decision, while District Judge George Conner granted the PPS order and marked the matters withdrawn.
- The alleged incident sparked days of race-related anti-immigration rioting in Ballymena, Co Antrim, with linked outbreaks in Northern Ireland, and the PPS will not comment to protect young people’s privacy.
23 Articles
23 Articles
The prosecutors gave up on the charges against the two Romanian teenagers who were accused of violating a student in Ballymena, the charges that declared racial revolutions in Northern Ireland, reports The Guardian.
Two 14- and 15-year-old Romanian teenagers were charged on 7 June, accused of trying to rape a girl in Ballymena, a city northwest of Belfast.
Northern Irish prosecutors drop charges in case that sparked anti-immigrant riots
BELFAST - Prosecutors in Northern Ireland withdrew charges on Friday against two teenage Romanian boys over an alleged sexual assault that sparked days of anti-immigrant riots in June, including attacks on police and the setting on fire of migrants' homes. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Teenagers accused of attempted rape in incident which led to Ballymena riots to have charges withdrawn
Two teenagers who were accused of attempting to rape a schoolgirl in an incident which led to racially-motivated rioting in Northern Ireland will have the charges withdrawn, the Public Prosecution Service has said.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 47% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


















