Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

‘Reserved and Ready’: Kyle Busch’s No. 8 Saved for Son, NASCAR Team Says

The racing team cited Busch's iconic association with the number and said no driver can carry it forward to the level he achieved.

  • Richard Childress Racing announced Friday it will suspend the No. 8 car following the death of two-time Cup Series champion Kyle Busch on Thursday. The team will reserve the number for Busch's son, Brexton Busch, when he is ready to race.
  • NASCAR confirmed Busch's passing on May 21 after the 41-year-old was hospitalized with a "severe illness" earlier in the week. The two-time champion spent his final three seasons at RCR after 15 years at Joe Gibbs Racing.
  • RCR made a similar move 25 years ago when Dale Earnhardt died in the 2001 Daytona 500; Kevin Harvick then drove the retired driver's iconic car. The team is now applying this precedent to Busch's No. 8.
  • "Kyle Busch was instrumental in the design of RCR's stylized No. 8," the team said, adding "no one can carry it forward to the level that he did." The number became synonymous with the driver across the racing industry.
  • Charlotte Motor Speedway has become a memorial site where fans pay tribute to the late driver. Busch was scheduled to race in the truck series at the track before his hospitalization on May 20.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

110 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 71% of the sources are Center
71% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Krem2 News broke the news in Spokane, United States on Friday, May 22, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal