Peng Shuai: WTA announces immediate suspension of tournaments in China
The Women's Tennis Association (WTA) stands by its decision to suspend tournaments in China in response to the country's handling of Peng Shuai's sexual assault allegations. Peng accused a former government official of sexual assault last month on social media. China has attempted to silence the story by removing the allegations from the Chinese internet.
Published 2 years ago · Beijing, China
Times of India
Peng Shuai: WTA suspends all tournaments in China over Peng Shuai concerns
WTA Tour chairman Steve Simon said Wednesday the women's tennis circuit is suspending all tournaments in China over concerns about the safety of Chinese player Peng Shuai. The WTA had planned 11 events in China this year before Covid-19 forced them to be relocated or cancelled. Resumption of competition there is now on hold.
2 years ago·Mumbai, IndiaRead Full Article
WTA suspends tournaments in China over Peng Shuai controversy
WTA's CEO Steve Simon said that he could not ask the players to compete in China when Peng is not allowed to communicate freely and is being pressured to contradict her allegations of sexual abuse.
2 years ago·IndiaRead Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe
Time & Location
Sources are mostly out of (0)