Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Overdose deaths drop by 21 per cent, but 1,826 deaths in 2025 still a 'profound loss'

Deaths from illicit drug overdoses dropped 21% to 1,826, with nearly 400,000 naloxone kits distributed annually to curb fatalities, officials said.

  • On Thursday, the British Columbia coroner's service reported overdose deaths fell 21% to 1,826 last year, the first under 2,000 since 2020.
  • Following multi-year trends, officials point to falling drug deaths in B.C. tied to a North America decline and $50 million provincial government funding for nasal naloxone.
  • The NaloxHome Society notes nasal naloxone will make up about half of over 400,000 kits distributed annually, with staged rollout to 150 community sites then all 2,400 take-home sites from April.
  • The figures were released yesterday shortly after the provincial Health Ministry announced expanded access, and Osborne said `We are taking urgent action to expand these critical services and to do everything we can help people connect to the care they need`.
  • Given shifting drug supplies, coroner data shows more than 16,000 deaths since the April 2016 emergency declaration, with fentanyl present in 69 per cent but declining, and drug poisoning remains the leading cause of death for people aged 10 to 59.
Insights by Ground AI

33 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 90% of the sources lean Left
90% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Chek news broke the news in Victoria, Canada on Thursday, February 19, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal