Ebola, Hantavirus Show World's Risk Preparedness Lagging: Pandemic Expert
Clark said response to declared crises has improved, but risk awareness still lags after hantavirus killed 3 people and Ebola spread for weeks unnoticed.
- On Tuesday, Helen Clark warned that pandemic risk awareness remains insufficient despite improved outbreak responses, said the former New Zealand prime minister and co-chair of the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response.
- The Bundibugyo strain of Ebola killed more than 130 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo, while a rare hantavirus outbreak on the MV Hondius cruise ship in the Atlantic caused three deaths.
- Testing failures allowed the Ebola outbreak to spread undetected for four to six weeks, prompting Clark to call for investigation into "the chain of events here, and what we can learn from it, and what it says about the capacities we need."
- Dramatic global aid cuts have created a 'perfect storm' for disease prevention, Clark warned, leaving poorer nations to suddenly fund health systems previously supported by international donors.
- Clark insisted that "global solidarity remains extremely important" to financing preparedness, urging nations to prioritize risk-informed planning and "be ready to deal with that" when new threats emerge.
21 Articles
21 Articles
Ebola, hantavirus show world’s risk preparedness lagging – expert
GENEVA — The deadly hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks show that while the response to declared public health crises has improved, awareness of pandemic risks still lags, a leading pandemic expert warned Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila).Over six years after the World Health Organization declared the Covid-19 pandemic, global efforts to revamp public health crisis response have improved the reaction to the hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks, said Helen Clar…
Hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks expose gaps in global pandemic preparedness, expert says
GENEVA, May 20 — The deadly hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks show that while the response to declared public health crises has improved, awareness of pandemic risks still lags, a leading pandemic expert warned today.Over six years after the World Health Organisation declared the Covid-19 pandemic, global efforts to revamp public health crisis response have improved the reaction to the hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks, said Helen Clark, a former New …
We need much more knowledge on risk-based preparation, said Helen Clark, former Prime Minister of New Zealand
Ebola, hantavirus show world's risk preparedness lagging: Pandemic expert
The deadly hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks show that while the response to declared public health crises has improved, awareness of pandemic risks still lags, a leading pandemic expert warned Tuesday.
Ebola, hantavirus heighten need for risk preparedness
GENEVA - The deadly hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks show that while the response to declared public health crises has improved, awareness of pandemic risks still lags, a leading pandemic expert has warned.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 55% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium



















