Published 8 hours ago • loading... • Updated 3 hours ago
China lowers death toll in Shanxi coal mine disaster to 82
Authorities detained company executives and ordered a nationwide mining safety review after the blast killed 82 people and left 2 missing, state media said.
A gas explosion late Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi, China, killed 82 people, with local officials revising the toll downward from initial reports of at least 90.
"After the incident the scene was chaotic," said Guo Xiaofang, the head of Qinyuan county, explaining why 247 workers underground were initially miscounted.
While 128 workers were hospitalized and 35 remained uninjured, two people are unaccounted for; all four mines owned by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group have been closed.
President Xi Jinping ordered authorities to "spare no effort" in rescue and treatment, according to Xinhua, while officials launched a formal investigation into the disaster.
The People's Daily published an editorial on Sunday calling to "completely reverse the tendency to prioritise development over safety," as the disaster remains China's deadliest since 108 died at the Xinxing Mine in Heilongjiang in 2009.
Chinese authorities announced on the 23rd that at least 82 people were killed and 128 injured in a coal mine explosion that occurred on the 22nd in Shanxi Province, China's largest coal-producing region. This is China's worst mining disaster in 17 years, since the 2009 coal mine explosion in Heilongjiang Province (which killed 104 people). Although the China Mining Safety Inspection Bureau warned last month of the "possibility of mine gas explos…