Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Carney downplays Washington’s decision to pause bilateral defence board

Colby said the board is on hold as Washington reviews Canada’s defense commitments, while Carney said Ottawa will widen security ties beyond the United States.

  • On Monday, the Pentagon suspended participation in the 86-year-old Permanent Joint Board on Defense, with U.S. undersecretary of defence for policy Elbridge Colby citing Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney's remarks at the World Economic Forum earlier this year.
  • Carney's January address in Davos, which officials viewed as a critique of President Donald Trump, prompted the suspension. In the speech, Carney warned against relying on global "hegemons" and urged middle powers to project strength.
  • Despite Colby's accusations that Canada failed to meet defense responsibilities, Carney noted that Canada added more than $80-billion in military spending in 2025, exceeding the 2 percent NATO GDP target and aiming for 3.5 percent by 2035.
  • Canada is reviewing its planned purchase of 88 Lockheed Martin F-35 fighter jets amid these tensions. Carney stated Canada will "diversify its defence co-operation" beyond the United States, aligning with its NATO role.
  • On Tuesday, Carney dismissed the suspension's significance, noting the board has not met since 2024 and emphasizing that Canada remains focused on modernizing its defense partnerships despite the diplomatic friction.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

53 Articles

NiagaraFallsReview.caNiagaraFallsReview.ca
+2 Reposted by 2 other sources
Lean Left

Petulant Trump pulls the U.S. out of shared defence board

The U.S. must reconsider its coercive tactics toward allies, as its current approach risks alienating partners like Canada amid global challenges.

·Niagara Falls, Canada
Read Full Article
Center

The Standing Joint Defence Committee, which has not met since 2024, was established in 1940.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 68% of the sources lean Left
68% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

ussanews.com broke the news on Monday, May 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal