SEA Games 2025: Cambodia Pulls Out of Eight Sports over 'Safety'
Cambodia cut its athlete delegation by more than half, citing safety amid military clashes and flood-related event relocations, officials said.
- In a letter dated Wednesday, the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia informed the Southeast Asian Games Federation it would withdraw from eight of the 21 sports at next month's SEA Games due to safety concerns.
- Citing security and local disruption, the NOCC said the adjustment was made due to significant security concerns and removed sports held in flood-affected Songkhla after organisers relocated events.
- The NOCC said the delegation was cut to 150 athletes, down from 333, and Vath Chamroeun, NOCC secretary-general, told AFP the decision was `about safety` and easier to control.
- NOCC leaders said the move preserves Cambodia's participation while prioritising safety, and NOCC leadership urged the Cambodian public to graciously accept this difficult decision.
- Intermittent clashes since earlier this year, including five days of combat in July that killed more than 40 people, highlight ongoing regional tensions, despite a truce backed by US President Donald Trump.
11 Articles
11 Articles
Nafuzi braces for group shake-up after Cambodia's shock SEA Games pullout
PETALING JAYA: Malaysia's under-23 football coach, Nafuzi Zain, has hinted that the team may need to adjust their plans if the SEA Games football draw in Thailand this December is redone. Read full story
SEA Games 2025: Cambodia pulls out of eight sports over 'safety'
SEA Games 2025 in Thailand | Inquirer Sports Special coverage Cambodia has withdrawn from eight sports at the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand over safety concerns, an Olympic official said Thursday, as a border row between the nations simmers. Intermittent military clashes between Cambodia and neighboring Thailand, host of the SEA Games beginning on December 9, have erupted since earlier this year. More than 40 people were killed during five …
Cambodia withdraws from eight sports at SEA Games in Thailand citing safety concerns
The Cambodian Olympic Committee pulled teams from football, judo, karate, and five other events just weeks before the December 9 opening, reducing their delegation from nearly 300 athletes to under 100 and forcing schedule revisions for host Thailand. BANGKOK, Thailand – Cambodia has withdrawn from eight sports, including men’s and women’s football, at the upcoming 33rd Southeast Asian (SEA) Games in Thailand, citing safety concerns. The unexpec…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 80% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium










