Building Collapse Kills at Least 4 People in Morocco's Fez, State Media
Authorities said 38,800 buildings nationwide were classified as at risk of collapse as rescuers searched the rubble and evacuated nearby residents.
- On Thursday, a four-storey building collapsed overnight in the Moroccan city of Fez, about 200km east of Rabat, killing at least 4 people and injuring 6, local authorities said.
- Adib Ben Ibrahim, housing secretary of state, reported last year that approximately 38,800 buildings across the country had been classified as being at risk of collapse.
- Rescuers and residents are digging through rubble while authorities launched an investigation and asked adjacent building residents to evacuate as a precaution against further collapses.
- State media initially reported 11 people were killed before issuing an official correction reflecting the lower casualty count confirmed by authorities.
- Fez has seen similar incidents in recent months, including a December collapse that killed at least 22 people, while a 2010 minaret collapse in Meknes killed 41.
40 Articles
40 Articles
At least 15 people died on Thursday, 21 May, in the collapse of a residential building in Fez, Morocco. Relief operations continue, while "other people are likely to be trapped under the rubble." Last December, another building collapsed in the same city, killing 22 people. - Drama in Morocco: at least 15 dead and many injured in the collapse of a building (International).
After the collapse of a residential building in the North Moroccan city of Fes on Thursday, the number of deaths increased to 15. This was reported on Friday from the office of the prosecutor. According to the report, two children were among the victims. Five more people were injured.After the collapse, it was unclear how many people had been in the multi-storey building in a outskirts of the city at the time of the accident. On Thursday, the au…
Syria expresses condolences to Morocco over Fez building collapse
Damascus, May 22 (SANA) The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates expressed its sincere condolences and sympathy to the government and people of the sisterly Kingdom of Morocco over the victims of a residential building collapse in the city of Fez in northern Morocco. In a statement issued on Friday, the ministry reaffirmed Syria’s full solidarity with Morocco and the families of the victims, wishing a speedy recovery for those injured …
14 killed in apartment building collapse in Morocco
At least 14 people were killed and 6 others were injured when a five-story apartment building collapsed in Morocco, according to officials and local media reports. The collapse happened early Thursday in the Ain Noqbi area of Fez, a city in northern Morocco, bringing a large response from emergency response crews and local authorities. A medical source told Moroccan outlet Hespress that 14 people were killed and 6 others were injured, with injur…
There were also several injured. The surrounding houses near the disaster site in the outskirts of the town of Fes were evacuated.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


























