Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Pentagon May Cut Ties With Anthropic Over AI Restrictions

The Pentagon may restrict or end its $200 million AI contract with Anthropic over usage limits that block autonomous weapons and mass surveillance applications.

  • On Tuesday at a Florida defense summit, Emil Michael said negotiations stalled over terms and the U.S. Department of Defense wants Anthropic's models usable "for all lawful use cases" without limitation.
  • Earlier this month, Anthropic announced a $30 billion funding round and says it seeks assurances its models won’t be used for autonomous weapons or mass surveillance.
  • As of February, Anthropic is the only company that has deployed models on the DoD's classified networks and received a $200 million contract last year, with rivals also awarded up to $200 million.
  • DoD officials warn use limits could block deploying Anthropic models in urgent operational situations, and a supply-chain risk designation would inflict an unusual reputational blow.
  • Political pressure has increased, with administration critics attacking Anthropic as it debuts the Sonnet 4.6 model amid tensions with the Trump administration and David Sacks.
Insights by Ground AI

15 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 45% of the sources are Center, 44% of the sources lean Right
45% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

braziljournal.com broke the news in on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal